Friday, August 17, 2012

Crave

...an excerpt from...
Crave
by Sarah Kane
(1998)

C  She is currently having some kind of nervous breakdown and wishes she'd been born black, male and more attractive.

B  I give myself.

C  Or just more attractive.

B  I give my heart.

C  Or just different.

M  But that's not really giving.

C  Just someone fucking else.

A  Fragile and choking.

C  She ceases to continue with the day to day farce of getting through the next few hours in an attempt to ward off the fact that she doesn't know how to get through the next forty years.

A  I love you still,

B  Against my will.

C  She's talking about herself in the third person because the idea of being who she is, of acknowledging that she is herself, is more than her pride can take.

B  With a fucking vengeance.

C  She's sick to the fucking gills of herself and wishes wishes wishes that something would happen to make life begin.

A  I'm a much nicer person since I had an affair.

C  You can only kill yourself if you're not already dead.

M  Guilt does that.

A  Because now I know that betrayal means nothing.

No comments: